Home

Sunday, April 8

What I'm Reading: Classic Literature

I didn't choose to read these books, but I did read them, so why not put them up here?

I'm in a class called The Novel right now to finish up my creative writing minor. Unfortunately, it's not about the process of creating novels, but simply reading them and tracking "the evolution of the genre." Two weeks ago I read and finished The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe and this past week I finished Willa Cather's My Antonia.
Moll Flanders was surprisingly good. It's said to be one of the first novels (if not the first), so I thought it would be awful. I tend not to like 19th century literature, but I enjoyed this book because it was such a soap-opera. You follow Moll, an English girl born into poverty, through her life which includes numerous marriages, pregnancies, divorces, and crime. There aren't any chapters or quotations and Defoe uses the old style of capitalizing random words, so you just have to accept it early on and you can read it without trouble.
This was my second time reading My Antonia (first was in eleventh grade AP English class). I liked it when I read it the first time and I like it again. It was nice because the first time I was upset that Jim (the narrator) did not have a romantic relationship with Antonia. Now that I knew that wouldn't happen, I was able to fully enjoy the story. The Nebraska prairie doesn't normally sound interesting to me, but Cather creates such wonderful characters and paints a wonderful picture of immigrants in the Western US. It's an easy read and I would definitely recommend it.

Next up for class if Kafka's Metamorphosis, and I still have to finish up Mockingjay. I know, I know, I'm a horrible Hunger Games fan, but I honestly haven't had any time!

Image Source Image Source Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment